Sunday, January 16, 2011

Singapore, KL & South of Thailand

From Jakarta I flew to Singapore which was overall uneventful. Wish I had couchsurfed there, would have made it a better experience and I would have spent way less money. The only major occurrence is I made the first large change in plans and decided to alter course and head to Nepal in order to do the Annapurna Circuit. This would also add India as flying into Kathmandu is expensive

Took less than 20 pictures in Singapore total

Clark Quay
From Singapore took the bus to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. After a couple months of active travel it was my first real break in the trip. I surfed with Jeeva who took me and his other guests to a BBQ at Vina's house, a fellow CS'er. After several drinks I was challenged to a poker game. In the first game I won 50 ringet (appx $16). He wanted to play again so I gave him the opportunity to get his money back in exchange for his phone. This would be the last day of my trip to date w/o having a phone, even came with a Malaysian sim card!.
played with condoms as chips
 I have never seen it rain so hard in my life as it did in KL. Was walking to the bus train station from Jeeva's when it started to rain, within 20 seconds I was DRENCHED, talk about a down pour. That wont happen again, I now have an umbrella :)

Went out with Ash and my hosts Jeeva for some drinks. Had originally met Ash, a Malaysian, last year at a few CS meetings in London. Jeeva claims he didnt' get drunk. Don't believe him

Jeeva works at the animal zone next to the KL tower. He also has many snakes in his home including a cobra and python. He tells you how snakes are so friendly and misunderstood, yet his arm is marked with snake bites. Love this frog in the animal zone

Went on a day trip to some hot springs outside KL with Jeeva.
Went with Vina to a Chinese Temple. She would later host me while I waited on my visa to India. At this temple I was informed that after all my life thinking I was a 1984 rat I am actually a Boar due to my bday being in January, so I fall under 1983. wtf

Vina thought I was lazy and didn't do much, which I didn't. wanted a break! In order to be productive I went to the Batu Caves (Hindu Temple) with Danny whom I had originally met a couple weeks prior at the bbq.



After picking up my India visa I was off to Thailand, accompanied by Danny. Gotta say Thailand has the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen.

Ao Nang, Thailand

Took the short long tail boat ride from here to Railay



The Following pictures are of Railay, Thailand















After Railay took the boat to Koh Phi Phi. A very touristy island but must say I love it there.
No cars on the island



Did a day trip to some neighboring islands including some snorkeling along the way

Monkey Beach





Maya Bay, most famous for being the location of the movie "The Beach" with Leonardo DiCaprio

Maya Bay





After Koh Phi Phi I headed to Surat Thani to meet up with Andre who is teaching English there. Was my first time ever in my travels seeing somebody from home so was definitely awesome. Surat is an authentic Thai city. Was awesome going out to bars and clubs being the only Westerners there. Also went to Koh Samui for a night but I was in a hurry to return to Kuala Lumpur. Had my flight booked to India! Also after 8 months of traveling with my small fast drying towel I finally left it somewhere. However, when looking in my laundry bag after leaving I found a Led Zeppelin t-shirt that did not belong to me. Even trade, wearing it now!

Anybody who knows Andre knows the highlight for me was seeing him eat a cheeseburger

NEXT STOP INDIA!!

Singapore Pictures (only 12)

Kuala Lumpur pictures

Railay, Thailand pictures

Koh Phi Phi pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment